Museum

Museum

The Colombo Museum as it was called at the beginning was established on 1st January 1877. It founder was Sir William Henry Gregory, the British Governor of Ceylon (Sri Lanka) at the time.

The Royal Asiatic Society (CB) was instrumental in bringing to the notice of Gregory on his appointment as Governor in 1872 the need for a public museum with much difficulty the approval of the legislative council was obtained within a year. The Architect of the Public Works Department, J.G. Smither was able to prepare the plans for new structure on Italian architectural style. The construction was completed in 1876 and the Museum commenced it functions in the following year.

 

National Museum of Natural History

 

National Museum of Natural History which reflects the Natural heritage was established on 23 rd of September 1986. This museum is situated same premises of Colombo National Museum facing Ananda Coomaraswamy Mawatha, Colombo 07. Even though there is considerable number of museums in Sri Lanka, this is the only one representing solely the Natural Heritage. The special feature is that plants and Animal specimens which are endemic to Sri Lanka, rare and threatened with extinction are displayed in this museum. There is a large collection of specimens such as Mammals, Birds, Reptiles, Insects, Fish, Amphibians of various kinds of Plants and Geological   Rocks. Leopard of Punani can be introduced as a special specimens displayed in the Natural science Museum. This leopard which was caught at Punani in Batticaloa   District on 16 th August 1924 had killed about 13 people. The Skull of Megacerus giganteus (elk) which huge horns which is displayed at the Geological section of the museum is a specimens that creates curiosity among the visitors. This skull which belonged to an extinct species of stag was gifted by Lord Eniskilen in 1950.

http://www.museum.gov.lk